Nikon release brand new Z6 & Z7 full frame mirrorless cameras

Julian Croot
Site Admin

Nikon release brand new Z6 & Z7 full frame mirrorless cameras

Post by Julian Croot » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:34 pm

Nikon finally joined Sony in the full frame mirrorless party with the newly announced Z6 & Z7.

These are Nikon's answer to Sony's A7iii and A7Riii which have been steeling market share away from both Canon & Nikon.

They feature 24 and 45 megapixel sensors respectively (the Z6 has an anti-alias filter, where the Z7 does not), a new lens mount, and in body stabilisation.

I'ms sure there'll be plenty of reviews hitting YouTube over the next few days and weeks, but my initial reaction is rather cool.

Neither model has a fully articulating LCD screen, neither model is capable of recording 4K at 60fps and, crucially, the Z6 has only 1 memory card slot... which makes it a risky proposition for professional work.

Julian Croot
Site Admin

Re: Nikon release brand new Z6 & Z7 full frame mirrorless cameras

Post by Julian Croot » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Well its all happening in the camera world at the moment.

Hot on the heals of Nikon, Canon have released their first full frame mirrorless camera too. And Panasonic are rumoured to be joining the party at the end of the month.

I think they're all playing a very smart long game while still not giving content creators everything they'd like in a single unit.

Canon in particular appear to be targeting the much larger vlogging market with the features they've included.
But sadly, the lack of a second card slot and higher end recording formats make it unsuitable for more professional work.

Nothing much to see for us here.