The best paintbrush does not make you Picasso

Julian Croot
Site Admin

The best paintbrush does not make you Picasso

Post by Julian Croot » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:47 pm

I'd like to talk about what’s happening in the interchangeable lens camera market, and whether it’s a good or not so good thing for video content in general.

For a long time, camera manufacturers have produced models with features their rivals lack. Unfortunately therefore, there’s never been a single model that’s perfect for every job.

For example:

- Canon’s pro level DSLRs have great autofocus, great ergonomics, great colour, but inefficient video codecs, a 30 minute recording limit, and no assistance features like a waveform monitor, zebras or focus peaking.

- Panasonic’s flagship mirrorless models have 10bit video codecs, unlimited recording time, an articulating LCD screen, and all the assistance features you need. But the autofocus is out-dated and unreliable, with a small sensor that makes achieving a shallow depth of field more difficult.

- Nikon, Olympus and Fuji have their own foibles.

Sony, it seams, have caught the others sleeping. They’re releasing full frame sensor mirrorless cameras with great video codecs and great autofocus at reasonable prices. Ok, their LCD screens still don’t fully articulate, and long form recording still isn’t possible, but they are without doubt moving the game on.

If you step up to cinema line cameras, The Canon C200 gets close to doing it all, adds pro level audio inputs and built-in ND filters, but it’s a much larger and heavier unit, is much more expensive, and lacks the 10bit codecs offered by Panasonic’s much cheaper mirrorless models.

So what do you do?

Well a professional videographer will likely own multiple cameras to ensure they have the right tool for the job, or rent specific models if a job requires it.

But, could all this inconvenience and cost be about to change?
With the progress Sony has been making, Canon & Nikon are both known to be announcing aggressive new models very soon to meet the threat head on, and this sounds like great news for the consumer.

I’m therefore quite sure there'll soon be an affordable new camera that does everything you need, in a form factor you want, at a price you can afford. But is this a good thing?

Once all the best technologies are in the hands of the masses…. everybody regards themselves as a professional. But having the best paintbrush or the best piano, does not make you Picasso or Mozart. And you don’t become a great filmmaker by simply pointing a technically perfect camera at something.

Story telling and cinematography are art forms, just like painting and musical composition. And we’ve not even begun to talk about sound quality or post-production.

So whilst I’m excited by new technology, the prospect of camera mavericks jumping on the creativity bandwagon gives me room for a little concern.

Thoughts?

Gunman_UK
bronze member

Re: The best paintbrush does not make you Picasso

Post by Gunman_UK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi Julian,

I can only pretend to understand everything you mentioned in your post, but I totally agree there is a high chance of ending up with "all the tools but no clues". A lot of advice I see from the Creator community is more around the content rather than the style, if you have the eye for the content then the skills follow as will the toys. Guess thats why the camera in your pocket is still king for a lot of starter creators, the Youtube generation seem to have had the right idea

Ed

Julian Croot
Site Admin

Post by Julian Croot » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:19 pm

If you follow Peter McKinnon on YouTube, you may know he recently published a video declaring he 'shot a wedding on a phone'.

The title was a bit click-batey but the images he got were pretty impressive.
The kicker is he wasn't actually the photographer, he was attending the wedding as a guest and just took a few shots to prove its not all about the kit.

Can you imagine how the official photographer felt knowing Peter was one of the guests?

Gunman_UK
bronze member

Post by Gunman_UK » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:51 am

yeah I watched that the other week having stumbled across one of his videos. Some good stuff in his vids to just make you think a little differntly