Just starting out with video production

lisas

Just starting out with video production

Post by lisas » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi there

I’m about to go on a training course for shooting and editing videos. I know the pre-work I put into a video can make or break it. Any top tips on script writing, story boarding and managing clients through the process?

Thanks!

Julian Croot
Site Admin

Re: Just starting out with video production

Post by Julian Croot » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:46 pm

Hey Lisas,
My response here is not intended to be 'the truth', but merely one possible approach. So keep that in mind.

You're absolutely right to say the pre-work can make or break a video production. And depending on the scale and genre of your film, you may need several stages of pre-production.
But I'm going to assume, because you mention a training course, that the goal is to produce internal corporate communications and /or training videos.

In which case, crafting a tight script around your subject matter should be the number one priority.
Then refine it, refine it some more, and be prepared to refine it even when you're shooting.
Over time, you'll gain experience as to what does and doesn't work well on camera.

I'd also consider creating a shot list. A simple document that breaks down the timeline into roughly 5 second chunks, describes in each chunk what the audience will see and hear, and what equipment and personnel you'll need to create it.
This will force you to think creatively, and help ensure you have everything you need when you need it.

If there are a number of people involved, you can then use this document to form a 'call sheet'.... basically a timesheet that tells those involved when and where they need to be on the day of production.

Every great video has a great story and structure. Try not be distracted by the factual content in isolation.

• SCENE SETTING
• CONFLICT
• RESOLUTION.

Keep that in mind.

You've created a whole topic of discussion here, so it would be great to hear what others think.

Hope that helps.

lisas

Post by lisas » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:54 am

Thanks Julian

That’s really helpful advice. Breaking it down into 5 second chunks and then using that as a roll call is a great idea, I’ll definitely put that into practice along with everything else you’ve said.

It’s good to get your perspective. If anyone else on the forum has any top tips I’d love to hear them.

Thanks

Gunman_UK
bronze member

Post by Gunman_UK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi all,

As still very much novice at all this, I have been doing a lot of online study of some of the production tricks and one that stands out is not just planning your shots but also planning things like transitions into your pre production plans to ensure a very polished look to the final footage.

Things like pans, zooms, fades and wipe transitions can be easier to do in "post" if you have given them some thought in "pre". make your life easier when it comes to adding those extra flourishes that can make a piece stand out more for the client.

Ed

Julian Croot
Site Admin

Post by Julian Croot » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:04 pm

Nice tip. Thanks Ed.
I've seen some nice transitions of people pausing a film, then zooming out to reveal the same person in a completely different scene.. then continuing seamlessly. For moment you think, 'how the heck did they do that?'.
But of course, its all in the planning.